Redhat Update question

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Tue Mar 11 13:31:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Khachatur Shahinyan wrote:

> Barry Brimer wrote:
>>> Dear Redhat Users, I have two question about Redhat Linux updating
>>> procedure. First: Is it possible to update the server's major version,
>>> like from RHEL4 to RHEL5, online?
>>
>> A clean install is recommended for upgrades between major releases.
>>
>> And the second, what should i do to update my server if it
>>> is not connected to internet.
>>> For additional information: I'm running RHEL AS4 on two machines, one is
>>> the "real" server and it is not online, and the second one is "testing"
>>> server which is online.
>>> I'm  new  to  Redhat , and any help will be appreciated.
>>
>> If you want to use Red Hat supported software use RHN Satellite.  If you
>> are OK with something free/open source, you can use mrepo.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Barry
>>
> Dear Barry thank You for quick response.
> It seems, i did not explain my goal clearly. I just need to update my
> existing software on the server which was installed with RHEL AS4, and also i
> need to install the critical updates and patches released  by Redhat.
> I don't know about mrepo.Will that be useful in this issue?

If you are on one version of RHEL and just want to keep it updated while
making sure it does not go online, either RHN Satellite or mrepo will
allow you to store and present Red Hat's updates to servers on your
network.  You can even run RHN Satellite in disconnected mode where it
does not access the Internet either but it loads updates via CDs provided
to you by Red Hat.  mrepo is available at
<http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/mrepo/>

Barry