X config RH 3

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 17 09:17:12 UTC 2008

Yard, John wrote:
> SSH is not in the picture. We are using the pc Hummingbird
> client, another admin says he remembers commenting out
> a line from an X config file , and then being able to
> connect using xdmcp .
>
> Has nothing to do with xhost, I've tried all
> variations.

Normally the X server doesn't listen for XDMCP, or any other connection
for that matter.

You have to setup gdm to accept XDMCP requests. For RH4 this is in
/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, I don't know how RH3 XDMCP was configured.

On the Windows (I presume it's Windows as you mention Hummingbird)
client you need to be sure that the client firewall is not blocking the
X ports. Depending on how you configure any firewall on that client this
may be an issue. Check the firewall. At the very least you need to be
able to receive connections on port 6000 originating from those two
machines. Without that the XDMCP login screen can't be posted. Also
check that the firewall isn't blocking outgoing connections to the XDMCP
port, 177, on those machines.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555