Novice question about laptops and wireless

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Tue Mar 18 17:09:27 UTC 2008

Larry,

>Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:42:01 -0400
>From: "Virden, Larry W." <lvirden at cas.org>
>
>I unfortunately don't have the laptop model with me right now, nor the
>model of the wireless card - two really good pieces of information that
>I should have gotten before I posted. I apologize.
>
>As for what I mean by old - the laptop is 7 or more years old, I'd
>hazard a guess.

Ah, I see. So you may not be able to install 686 software. Not that big a deal.

>How can I tell between RH and RHEL?

RedHat Enterprise is what they went to after RH9. It came out around '04. RH4..., uh, I started using RedHat at 5.2 in the mid/late nineties.

>As for what I want to do with the laptop - two things. The number one
>thing I want to do is to be able to take it to the library, connect to
>their wi-fi, and use a web browser to browse web sites, read email, etc.

Basic stuff. Any version should do you.

>The second thing I want to do is to be able to install a version of tcl
>and supplimental libraries and write some code.  I don't envision that
>to be a big deal - the compiles will be a limited number, and the
>interpreter runs normally with minimal impact on the system.

Right, I agree.

>So, if I can get the wi-fi stuff to work, I should be pretty well set.

Good luck. I dunno what might be in it. If you actually have RH installed, you should be able to look, at least cat'ing /proc, etc.

    mark