Red Hat Appears to Ignore Secondary Groups for LDAP Users

Tim P. Starrin Timothy.P.Starrin at nasa.gov
Thu Mar 20 14:42:42 UTC 2008

This is bizarre, now it's working for the first time ever.  I am not
running nscd either and I did not change a thing.  Yesterday I even
called Red Hat support and reported the problem.  They were baffled too.

While on the phone yesterday, we confirmed the following...

    Selinux is permissive
    no acls
    no attr
    The gid is above 500 (we tested another file with a gid over 1,000
    just in case)
    no nscd service running
    id while the ldap user is logged in shows secondary ldap groups.
    Getent passwd and getent group show ldap users and groups

Any ideas what happened here?  I do not want to run into this problem
again when I add a few hundred users to the system and place it in
production.

Thanks