screen goes black

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 20:59:17 UTC 2008

On 05/03/2008, Paula J. Lindsay <paula at scripps.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a box running fedora core 8.  When this user logs into his
> machine using kde, he ends up just getting a solid black screen.
> I had him log into the machine using gnome, and he ended up with a solid
> blue screen.  It sounds to me like his setting are
> corrupt or something to that effect.  I know this isn't a fedora mailing
> list, but I am really desperate to find a cure for this
> poor user.  He did try to log on to another machine with the same results.
>
> --
> Paula J. Lindsay
> IT Analyst III
> Research Computing
> 10550 North Torrey Pines Road
> La Jolla, CA  92037
> 858.784.9378 (office)
> 858.784.9301 (fax)
> paula at scripps.edu
>
> Should be easy enough to test whether it's settings.  Simply rename his
home directory, and create a new one.  Copy the files in /etc/skel to the
newly created home directory.  Make sure to set proper ownership.

If he can log in this way, one of the hidden files/directories must contain
errors.  If you cannot determine which it might be, simply move all the
non-hidden files and directories from the original home directory to the new
one.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Herta

--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."