rsync or rdist

peter winterflood peter.winterflood at ossi.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 22:41:02 UTC 2008

Herta Van den Eynde wrote:
> On 10/03/2008, Rodrick Brown <rbrown at ballistasec.com> wrote:
>
>> tar cvfp - . | ssh -c blowfish remote '(cd /storage/archive; tar xvf - )'

well if scp inherits the same limitation of rcp -r then it wont take
links with it.
tar picks up all links, but does not follow them.

I would always use a variation of the tar command given above for
complete directory copies, from one system to another, however would add
the "B" modifier to the example given above to ensure that tar Blocks
for pipes/network.

However rsync would be a much better option if say a DR host needs to be
kept in sync with a production, as rsync can be configured to to
incremental updates, ie only copy changes, and where files are deleted
on the source delete them at the dest, maintaining a complete mirror of
two directories across a network.
it could be cron's to run every few mins.

regards peter