RHEL Server vs. Desktop

Todd V. Rovito rovitotv at rovitotv.org
Wed Mar 12 04:38:49 UTC 2008

Paul Copeland wrote:
> Thanks - I should have specified that the question was about RHEL 5.
> They have changed the naming a bit - the categories are now "Desktop",
> "Server", and "Advanced Platform".
>
> This table lays out the basic "offerings" but does not say what the
> differences are in available packages and functionality.
>
> https://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/
>
> You would think it would be a no-brainer question but the information
> does not seem to be available.
>
> I'll see if I can get somebody with clear and verifiable answers from
> sales :-)
>
> - Paul

I have to admit I don't have the best answer but it might help. At work
we have both workstation and server. One time I installed the server on
my laptop by accident. It was bad. Many packages that you would expect
on a workstation were not installed the biggest one is OpenOffice. I was
able to install OpenOffice and a few others via yum but it was painful.
Eventually I just re-installed workstation and went on my way. From that
point on I have been careful about putting workstation on workstations
and server on servers. I think the packages are open to both workstation
and server, it appears like the product line (workstation or server)
just installs different combinations of packages based on product selection.

If you find out an official answer post it on the list. Thanks.