host keys authentication

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 15:39:42 UTC 2008

I did some more testing and managed to get it to work.  Seems to have
just been a permissions issue on the .ssh folder.

The ftp server uses rssh so users get chrooted into their home
directories and using sftp/ssh for data transfer.

One thing I'm not sure of, is the issue of generating keys with empty
passphrases.  According to my tests, the client has to generate a
keypair using empty passphrases, otherwise they get prompted for a
passphrase at login.

What I want to achieve is for only one client to be able to sftp via a
script of some sort, and such that they "automatically" authenticate (no
password/passphrase prompt).

My current solution is for the client to generate the keypair, provide
me with the generated public key, which I then add to the client's .ssh
folder in their home directory as a file called authorized_keys.

Am I on the right track, or am I still maybe missing something?

Would appreciate any advice, as obviously the security aspect is of
great importance.

Thanks.