Mysql rpm upgrade

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Fri Mar 28 09:00:46 UTC 2008

Hi,

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com schrieb:

> I have been asked to upgrade the Mysql rpm's on one our Redhat version 3
> machines and wanted to now the best way of doing this. Should I use the rpm
> erase option then the rpm install option or can i just use the upgrade or
> Freshen options. Any advice on the best way of doing this would be much
> appreciated. If you have done this before what command did you use. The
> rpm's I am upgrading too are below.
>
>  MySQL-server-community-5.1.22-0.rhel3.i386.rpm
> MySQL-client-community-5.1.22-0.rhel3.i386.rpm

I've done two or three LAMP server upgrades from RHEL3/4 -> RHEL4/5 and
by this procedure mysql was also updated. An other upgrade was done with
a new hardware, so I had only to copy the "old" mysql database files
from /var/lib/mysql to the new server.

The only problem I(!) was faced with was the password encryption
setting, as this was changed from some version of mysql to the next one.

my.cnf

# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

I don't know why you have to upgrade only mysql as upgrading only one
app may breake some other dependecies, so test this good on a test
system and make backups ... :-) (and may be installing mysql 5.1 on
RHEL3 will not be certified and you will be in trouble if you pay for
support)

Regards

--
Götz Reinicke
IT Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax  +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Mathildenstr. 20
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Dr. Christoph Palmer, MdL, Minister a.D.

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt