Mysql rpm upgrade

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri Mar 28 12:39:46 UTC 2008

Götz Reinicke wrote:
 > Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com schrieb:
>>
>> I have been asked to upgrade the Mysql rpm's on one our Redhat version 3
>> machines and wanted to now the best way of doing this. Should I use
<snip>
> I've done two or three LAMP server upgrades from RHEL3/4 -> RHEL4/5 and
> by this procedure mysql was also updated. An other upgrade was done with
> a new hardware, so I had only to copy the "old" mysql database files
> from /var/lib/mysql to the new server.
>
> The only problem I(!) was faced with was the password encryption
> setting, as this was changed from some version of mysql to the next one.
>
> my.cnf

He's right. It was upgraded after 4.1.somethingorother. The big problem for us
was running Mantis, a bug tracker, written in php 4, that could not handle the
new, longer passwords.

> # Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
> # clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
> old_passwords=1

Or use password=old_password('mypswd'); I did that, just for the one app. None
of the others had a problem.

> I don't know why you have to upgrade only mysql as upgrading only one
> app may breake some other dependecies, so test this good on a test
> system and make backups ... :-) (and may be installing mysql 5.1 on
> RHEL3 will not be certified and you will be in trouble if you pay for
> support)

As I said, I had no problems with any of the other three or four apps when I
went from 4.1.7 to 5.1.20. Nothing broke (and I *would* have heard the screams
had it broken).

	mark