NIC Teaming

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 13:53:45 UTC 2008

On 3/31/08, Gerrard Geldenhuis <Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com> wrote:
> Leaving the values won't confuse the bonding driver. I leave them
> specifically because that helps to tie down interface so they are always
> the same. eth0 will thus always be the same physical interface and so
> on.

i normally do this in modprobe.conf as something hinky happens on
dells with more than 2 ethernet ports and udev
:-)

> Can you point me to the documentation that supports removing hwaddr
> lines... It is also likely that the manipulation of configuration files
> differs from distro to distro...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Networking/Linux_bonding_howto_0

also from bonding.txt

All interfaces that are part of the trunk, should have SLAVE and MASTER
definitions. For example, in the case of RedHat, if you wish to make eth0 and
eth1 (or other interfaces) a part of the bonding interface bond0, their config
files (ifcfg-eth0, ifcfg-eth1, etc.) should look like this:

DEVICE=eth0
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

from bond_main.c

16  * How it works:
 17  *    ifconfig bond0 ipaddress netmask up
 18  *      will setup a network device, with an ip address.  No mac address
 19  *      will be assigned at this time.  The hw mac address will come from
 20  *      the first slave bonded to the channel.  All slaves will then use
 21  *      this hw mac address.
 22  *
 23  *    ifconfig bond0 down
 24  *         will release all slaves, marking them as down.
 25  *
 26  *    ifenslave bond0 eth0
 27  *      will attach eth0 to bond0 as a slave.  eth0 hw mac address
will either
 28  *      a: be used as initial mac address
 29  *      b: if a hw mac address already is there, eth0's hw mac address
 30  *         will then be set from bond0.
 31  *

The only reason i think this is that i have had problems with bonding
with RH5.1 where i had the HWADDR values specified.  bond0 wouldn't
come up until i removed - indeed the box wouldn't boot - until i
removed those lines from ifcfg-eth0 and 1

I could be wrong, i often am

best wishes

mike