Mysql rpm upgrade

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri May 2 17:01:53 UTC 2008

Hey, Andrew,

>Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 11:40:32 +0100
>From: Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
>Subject: Re: Mysql rpm upgrade

> We have just  upgraded mysql using the rpm command
>you suggested below and it seemed to go OK but for some
> reason we cannot start mysql due to a error saying "Cannot
> connect to local MySQL on socket /var/lib/mysql.sock.

Oy, as they say, vey.

>Can you remember some of the config changes you made before
> you started up the daemon? Did you come across this issue
> when you did your upgrade or do
>you have any idea on how i can get around this issue?

Check your /etc/my.conf. This defines where things like the pidfile will reside. Make sure the directories that things will go to actually exist, and that mysql has rights to it.

You *did* shut down the mysql daemon before upgrading, right? (Some people might forget, he says, not meeting your eyes....)

>Out of interest the /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock file is not in
> the directory for some reason  or does it create it when
> mysql starts.

Yup.

      mark