How to verify a raw partition contains Oracle data - thanks Geofrey

sunhux G sunhux at gmail.com
Thu May 15 09:47:55 UTC 2008

Hi Thomas,

We use Emulex.

Hi Geofrey

 "I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "/dev/sdv ... fdisk
-l will not show them properly ...", or "/dev/mpath ...", presumably the
/dev/mpath/ directory is associated with the HBA driver and if so, you
might find the device node files within that directory refer to the
partitions
on the SAN"

Well, to elaborate, /dev/sdj & /dev/sdx may be two different device files
but using different paths to get to the same disk partition on the SAN.
Somehow, after reboot, I found /dev/mapper/mpath[0-5]
- 6 of them altogether.

I guess I have to use /dev/mapper/mpathx  in all references to avoid
using duplicated paths to the same disk partition.  Did I make any
sense?

BTW, if I accidetanlly did "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/mapper/mpath0" but I
actually wanted it to remain as raw partition, how can I undo it so
that mpath0 is back to raw partition?

Thanks