growisofs not working

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Mon May 19 02:49:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 04:12:24PM -0400, Margaret Doll wrote:
> I have been trying to write a Fedora .iso to a dvd on two of my RedHat
> systems using
> On the 2.4.21-57.ELsmp system, I  get the  error
> :-( unable to INQUIREY:  Invalid argument
> On the 2.6.9-67.0.1ELsmp system, I get the error
> :-( /dev/hdb:  media is not recognized as a recordable DVD

Do you have permission to write to /dev/hdb? You'll either need to run
growisofs as root, or make sure that your user account is in the same
group that the device /dev/hdb has. Since RHEL doesn't appear to have a
cdrom group and uses 'disk' for all its /dev/hd* devices, the second
option might not be wise.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse                             	| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584