Installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux without Gnome?

Shashank bhides at gmail.com
Tue May 20 22:27:26 UTC 2008

> and we were thinking we might simply install X libraries and
> firefox as these are the only (known) requirements for the applications to
> run.

On our production boxes, we do not install either Gnome or KDE. We do
have X windows, Xvfb, and twm for remote X acess. And things are
working just fine.

> However, exluding Gnome from the installation can get rather complicated due
> to the different dependencies all over the place.

I did not see any issues while installing my copy, but may be you need
something else that is dependent on Gnome? My installation also has
firefox installation. However, all the servers are now in run level
-3, and any firefox related stuff can be accessed remotely (with
Xmanager for example)

hth,
-s