Hi Hertha/Gerrard/anyone, SAN disk partitions device files changes with each reboot

Gerrard Geldenhuis Gerrard.Geldenhuis at datacash.com
Tue May 27 08:42:15 UTC 2008

Hi,
I asked a similar question a while ago and I copy in the response. I hope it helps. Thanks to Christophe Varoqui for supplying the answers.

Le lundi 04 février 2008 à 12:50 +0000, Gerrard Geldenhuis a écrit :
> Hi Christophe,
>
> I am a bit confused between the usage of
>
> /dev/mpath
>
> /dev/dm-X and
>
> /dev/mapper/
>

> I am unsure as to which device I should be using when creating lvm
> volumes. I have asked a consultant from Redhat who gave the following
> response:

You can use pvcreate on whatever object you want. The important setup is the "filter" in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf : this filter has to use only one kind of object to avoid pvscan confusion. Here again, whatever naming convention is good.

The /dev/mpath/ contains only multipath-type devmaps, whereas /dev/mapper contains all kind of devmap types (linear for LV)

> We ended up having a big discussion about this on IRC yesterday, and
> the outcome was inconclusive. However, the guy who is our oracle/san
> expert says /dev/mpath, so that is what I'd do.

Also keep in mind that you can disable user_friendly_names in multipath.conf, which will give you /dev/{mapper,mpath}/6000111122223333
names.
Those are really interesting when you use clusters (like RAC) because the naming is consistent between hosts.

> You might also find it useful to take a look at the kpartx command,
> and use that after you've added a partition to a LUN. It should see to
> it that the relevant /dev/mpath partition device gets created without
> having to reboot the system

Avoid partitioning multipathed device when possible : it will remove considerable complexity to the software stack.

> I also asked on rhel5 mailinglist where I got the following response:
>

> Using /dev/mapper is always how I've seen it done. /dev/mpath/* looks
> to be just a symlink to /dev/dm-? device nodes which are, in turn,
> device nodes with identical major/minor numbers as /dev/mapper/*.
>

> Why /dev/mpath/* is even there, I'm not sure.

udev rules trigger their creation

Regards,
cvaroqui