umount /usr busy -- locale-archive ?

Rubens Gomes rubens_gomes at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 05:02:10 UTC 2008

I have CentOS 5 (=RHEL 5). I am trying to umount the /usr in init level "1" but I cannot due to "/usr: device is busy". After "lsof" research I discoverd the following opened files used by the shell (/bin/sh -> bash).COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAMEsh 3180 root mem REG 8,3 56459040 199464 /usr/lib/locale/locale-archivesh 3180 root mem REG 8,3 25462 199708 /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cacheQuestions:1) How do I close/release these locale/gconv files from the sh process?2) If I cannot release the above files from the sh, is there a static version of bash or ksh that I could install/configure for the root? That is a shell that is not dynamically linked to any resources/files on the system?Having dynamically linked shell at level init 1 is *not* acceptable. The root shell should be completelly independent of any dynamic linking especially for level 1 administration. Is this a flaw of RHEL linux? I remember in Sun Solaris I used to have statically versions of ksh and bourne shell under the root account.Thanks.Rubens Gomes
http://www.rubens-gomes.com/