getent / group / LDAP problem

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Wed May 28 17:51:50 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have RHEL 5 running as an LDAP server, and am trying to configure a
second server to mimic the first one.  I have created multiple groups in
LDAP and assigned various users to these groups.  On the second server,
running 'id' from the shell doesn't show those secondary groups.

I thought there might be something wrong with nsswitch.conf, but 'getent
group' is reporting the secondary groups and the users but with a 'x' in
the second field:

users:x:500:user1,user2,user3

whereas on the first server, I see:

users:*:500:user1,user2,user3

Why the difference in the second field?

'id' doesn't report the secondary groups either.  'id' on the first LDAP
server shows something like:

uid=501(golharam) gid=501(sansuser)
groups=500(users),501(sansuser),85(cvs) context=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t

On the second LDAP server, I get:
uid=501(golharam) gid=500(users) groups=500(users)
context=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t

There should be a second group as 'cvs' with gid=85.   Does anyone know
why I wouldn't see secondary groups in my second LDAP server?