RHEL 5 : statically linked shell for root?

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:46:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:18 AM, Rubens Gomes <rubens_gomes at hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Does RHEL 5 have a statically linked shell that I could set for the "root"
> user?
>
> I currently have the default /usr/sh (--> bash) shell set for the "root"
> account.  However, I cannot umount /usr mount point in init level "1"
> because this shell is dynamically dependent/linked to the files below.
>
> Here is the 'lsof' output:
>
> COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
> sh 3180 root mem REG 8,3 56459040 199464 /usr/lib/locale/locale-archivesh
> 3180 root mem REG 8,3 25462 199708 /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache
>
> Is it possible to close/release the above locale/gconv files from the sh
> process?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rubens Gomes

My question is. "Why do you make a separate mount point for /usr?".

In the old days of UNIX/SunOS, the hard drives were small and we were forced
to have separate mount points for /, /var, /usr, /opt, /usr/openwin for
SunOS, /home.  This and the possibility of actually filling a filesystem to
100% were the only real reasons for separating the filesystems that I was
ever given.

In the Sun world, Sun recommends two paritions: / and swap.  (We use three:
/ /var [at the request of our support vendor], and swap.  Changes were made
in the default configuration of the filesystem so that it would never fill
up.  Large hard drives since 18G-36G have more than enough space for the OS.

In the Red Hat world, the default does not separate the filesystems.  This
was mentioned in the RHEL classes. (/boot, /, swap are all I remember.)
Ubuntu goes to two paritions: / and swap.

Also, the fact that more filesystems means more work.  The less work,
details, etc., the easier the work is.  The volume of work is so mundane and
so much that I reduce all the extra work I can.  Now if I could only get the
Oracle DBAs to understand that Oracle uses Linux internally....