Rpm Upgrade - rollback

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Thu May 1 11:45:26 UTC 2008

> I am planning on upgrading a couple of mysql rpm's to a later version by
> running the Rpm –Uvh  command. If for some reason I run into any issues
> when running the upgrade, what is best way of rolling back to the current
> working version. Can I just do an un-install or is it more complicated than
> that. Any help would be much appreciated.

I would use 'rpm -Uvh <packages> --repackage'  This will make an rpm
(located in /var/spool/repackage) of what you have in place before the
upgrade, which should include any modifications to any files distributed
with the rpm(s) in question.  Beware that this new rpm will not be signed
by Red Hat, nor will its signatures match.  If you have not changed
anything, I suppose it doesn't buy you a lot to do this instead of
reinstalling your original rpms, assuming you still have them.  Either
way, I would make sure to backup with mysqldump before you do *any* rpm
changes.

Barry