rollback yum update for a single package?

Chet Nichols III chet.nichols at gmail.com
Fri May 2 05:22:36 UTC 2008

Hey Alec-
I'd say have as many of the old RPMs as you can available (especially the
RPM you're upgrading, for rolling back), do only a few at a time, check what
dependencies it has, and make sure you have the older dependency RPMs as
well for rolling back. It kinda sucks, but in any rollback you'd need the
software packages to roll back to.

Personally, we run huge clusters of the same server, so we'll update one,
and if nothing breaks, we'll roll it out to a subset of a cluster, and if
that looks good, then we'll roll it out everywhere.

What types of services are running on the box? If it's stuff like httpd,
sshd, and other things that have updates, I'd strongly suggest updating (and
not worry), since those packages probably contain somewhat important
security updates :D Along with that, basic daemons like that will include
updates that won't really affect any major functionality- just bug fixes. If
it was something that was going to affect other parts of the system on an
upgrade, then there would be problems and people wouldn't schedule regular
patching exercises.

Then again, it all depends on your system(s) and what you're running- feel
free to give some more info as to what the boxes run, what updates are
available, and what version(s) of RH you're running, and see if you can get
some feedback.

Good luck!

Chet