Mysql rpm upgrade

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Fri May 2 10:40:32 UTC 2008

Hello Mark,
                       We have just  upgraded mysql using the rpm command
you suggested below and it seemed to go OK but for some reason we cannot
start mysql due to a error saying "Cannot connect to local MySQL on socket
/var/lib/mysql.sock.

Can you remember some of the config changes you made before you started up
the daemon? Did you come across this issue when you did your upgrade or do
you have any idea on how i can get around this issue?

Out of interest the /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock file is not in the directory
for some reason  or does it create it when mysql starts.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Andrew Bridgeman

|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|
|   <m.roth2006 at rcn.com>      |                                           |
|   Sent by:                  |                                           |
|   redhat-list-bounces at redhat|                                         To|
|   .com                      |               General Red Hat Linux       |
|                             |               discussion list             |
|   03/04/2008 09:08          |               <redhat-list at redhat.com>    |
|                             |                                         cc|
|         Please respond to   |                                           |
|       General Red Hat Linux |                                    Subject|
|          discussion list    |               Re: Mysql rpm upgrade       |
|      <redhat-list at redhat.com|                                           |
|                 >           |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|                             |                                           |
|-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------|

Andrew,

>Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 15:10:19 +0000
>From: Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
>
>I do have a test machine i can use for this purpose.
>
>If anyone has upgraded Mysql before please let me know the steps I need to
>take.

Actually, I just upgraded. The box was RHEL 4/4, and had been running MySQL
4.1.7, which came on the RHEL CD. I upgraded to 5.1.20.

Do back up the d/b before you do anything, but that's std.

Also, please be sure you shut down the mysql daemon *before* you
upgrade.... <agony elided>

Then I just did rpm -Uvh on the pieces I needed, and made the few config
file changes I needed to, and brought up the daemon.

mark

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Tata Steel UK Limited nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities