How to convert a character file system back to a raw partition

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at gmail.com
Mon May 19 15:43:54 UTC 2008

2008/5/19 sunhux G <sunhux at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>

> I've accidentally issued "mkfs -t ext3 /dev/mapper/mpath0".
>
> How can I convert it back to raw partition?
>
> Kindly give me the exact command (I heard it's "mkfs . . .")
>

> Thanks

You don't convert it back, you simply use it as a raw device, but know
that part of the raw device will be corrupt as you have overwitten
certain blocks with the filesystem's superblocks.

To use a partition as a raw device,
- add it to /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices e.g., by adding the line

    /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/mapper/mpath0

- and restart the rawdevices service:

   service rawdevices restart

Kind regards,

Herta
--
"Life on Earth may be expensive,
 but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."