RHEL4 - Boot hangs

Davis, Jared S. DavisJar at missouri.edu
Tue May 20 05:27:06 UTC 2008

I'm having trouble booting our web server running RHEL4.  I just recently updated to the 2.6.9-67.0.7 kernel.  We rebooted the machine to do some backup maintenance, and now it hangs at starting 'udev'.  I also get the following message before that (after the booting to kernel message):

sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sdb: asking for cache data failed
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem or not.  We have a RAID set up with 2 LVs.  I also tried booting to a previous version via grub with no luck.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

jared davis.