Lower limits for RHEL4 largesmp kernel

Broekman, Maarten Maarten.Broekman at FMR.COM
Tue May 20 14:00:09 UTC 2008

I've seen the upper limits for the largesmp kernel in the RHEL4 U3
release notes
(https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/release-no
tes/as-amd64/RELEASE-NOTES-U3-x86_64-en.html).  However, I'm wondering
if anyone can point to the lower limit recommendations for the largesmp
kernel.  At what point (memory and cpu) does the largesmp kernel provide
better performance than the regular smp kernel.  This is on x86_64 (not
x86).  Installing RHEL4.6 x86 seems to use the hugemem kernel on this
BL680c G5, while RHEL4.6 x86_64 uses the largesmp kernel. I'm wondering
specifically for x86_64.

Thanks
Maarten Broekman