RedHat 5.1 CUPS problems

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Tue May 20 18:42:00 UTC 2008

Not that I do printers often, but

(1) are you using a CUPS supplied drivers or HP's driver/PPD file, or your
own PPD.

For text output, you can write your own PPD.  HP PPD information is fairly
easy to find; IIRC, googling "ppd" & "HP" or the such brought up a lot of
information.

(2) your description could be a font translation problem: document to HP
built-in fonts.
It could also be a page definition error: the margins are different 1" on
one and 1.25" on the other.  The printable area value or the margins appear
to be different.
It appears that your current driver/ppd has an automatically linefeed after
paragraphs.
It could something else entirely.
It could be a combination.

It all this, be thankfully that you are dealing with an HP printer.  Xerox
has VERY little information on their printer (that we used) and it was a
bear to get things right (the printers in question were 3 suites down and
the Oracle Financials consultant didn't understand what information I
needed--it was all trial error on my part).

Personally, I almost always use the generic/laser printer/postscript for
CUPS and have never had a problem.

For HP printers, you can start with the original laserjet driver.  If it
works, you can go through the HP drivers/PPDs until it breaks.  (Or until it
starts working.)