Linux server time getting out of sync frequently.

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue May 27 21:32:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 12:46 -0700, bruce wrote:
> as i thought!!
>
> you're going to need to do some research, because i can't recall where the
> info is for your issue.
>
> rhel/vmware is known to cause timing issues with the rhel guest os.
>
> search google for things like: vmware linux timing sync (etc..)
>
> as i recall, there are a few parameters you can set within the vmware app
> for the guest os, in order to sync the timing, and to stop the skew from
> occuring...
>
> i think you might also have to modify the kernel startup attributes.

The only solution I have found to work is to stop NTP on the guest and
simply run ntpdate (getting the time from other reliable server) every
hour or so via cron. The only 'solution' I have not tried is rebuilding
the kernel. Suggestions like use the PIT time source on the kernel
startup line may well improve the timekeeping, but it still loses time.

John.