Linux server time getting out of sync frequently.

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Tue May 27 22:24:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 15:15 -0700, bruce wrote:
> john...
>
> be sure you carefully read the pdf that was provided...
>
> in the situation where i was involved... we had a number of guest linux OS
> boxes running on top of vmware. the boxes would lose serious amounts of
> time... the pdf, and i believe the steps mentioned solved our issues...
>
> but make sure you carefully look over the pdf doc..

Yup, already done that. We've had our 'time' problems with vmware for
well over a year now (getting near 2 I should say). As mentioned
initially the only solution we haven't tried is rebuilding the kernel,
the only one we have found that does work is to use ntpdate via cron. I
passed the problem to our people maintaining the ESX servers, and they
contacted vmware about it (we have a support contract). They referred us
to the PDF doc, but as we pointed out the solutions in it still didn't
work. As might be expected, rebuilding the kernel was suggested :-)

John.