RHEL 5 : statically linked shell for root?

Rubens Gomes rubens_gomes at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 07:18:19 UTC 2008

Does RHEL 5 have a statically linked shell that I could set for the "root" user?

I currently have the default /usr/sh (--> bash) shell set for the "root" account.  However, I cannot umount /usr mount point in init level "1" because this shell is dynamically dependent/linked to the files below.

Here is the 'lsof' output:

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
sh 3180 root mem REG 8,3 56459040 199464 /usr/lib/locale/locale-archivesh 3180 root mem REG 8,3 25462 199708 /usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache

Is it possible to close/release the above locale/gconv files from the sh process?

Thanks.

Rubens Gomes