RHEL 5 : statically linked shell for root?

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Thu May 29 12:52:47 UTC 2008

hike wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:18 AM, Rubens Gomes <rubens_gomes at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
<snip>
> My question is. "Why do you make a separate mount point for /usr?".
>
> In the old days of UNIX/SunOS, the hard drives were small and we were forced
> to have separate mount points for /, /var, /usr, /opt, /usr/openwin for
> SunOS, /home.  This and the possibility of actually filling a filesystem to
> 100% were the only real reasons for separating the filesystems that I was
> ever given.
<snip>
As I said in the article I published in SysAdmin last year (before it went
under) on upgrading Linux, you want that so that when you do an upgrade, you
can rename it, then have a new partition for /usr, and let the install format
that. That way, a) it's a "clean install", and b) you can fall back with a few
renames in single user mode.

	mark