Disk size recommendations for syslog server

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 12:04:35 UTC 2008

We're planning on logging between 100 and 200 servers for now, but the
number will probably increase in the future. Haven't decided on a syslog
level, so we're up for suggestions.

About your calculation: I guess this is the most intuitive approach, and
seems like a good calculation. After a quick random sampling of our servers
indicates that the size of /var/log is between 15 and 30 MB. Most of these
logs are rotated, though.

Regards,
Kenneth