rhn rpmnew files (long)

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Mon Oct 6 01:21:25 UTC 2008

RHEL3.9

Hi All:

I have been in the habit of updating our system on a weekly basis but
I have not been as faithful in reconciling the .rpmnew and .rpmsave
files. This afternoon I took the time to chase down the last of these
and have managed to eliminate all but 2. Both of these belong to the
rhn package. The rhn package seems to be working fine so I do not
believe they are critical but I would like take care of them. I have
done a bunch of Google searches but without much luck in finding
anything applicable. If someone out there can point me in the right
direction I would greatly appreciate it.

The first one is rhn-applet.rpmnew and is from 2004. A diff with the
current file reports (I have masked the uid value in case it is
sensitive):

[root at pgiprd rhn]# diff rhn-applet rhn-applet.rpmnew
4c4
< server_url=https://www.rhns.redhat.com/APPLET
---
> server_url=https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/APPLET
7c7
< uuid=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
---
> uuid=UNSPECIFIED

Can anyone advise where are the correct values?

The second one is the up2date.rpmnew and is also from 2004. A diff
with the current file reports:

3,7d2
< networkSetup[comment]=None
< networkSetup=1
<
< retrieveOnly[comment]=Retrieve packages only
< retrieveOnly=0
15,34c10,11
< pkgSkipList[comment]=A list of package names, optionally including
wildcards, to skip
< pkgSkipList=kernel*;
<
< storageDir[comment]=Where to store packages and other data when they are
retrieved
< storageDir=/var/spool/up2date
<
< adminAddress[comment]=List of e-mail addresses for update agent to
communicate with when run in batch mode
< adminAddress=root at localhost;
<
< noBootLoader[comment]=To disable modification of the boot loader (lilo,
silo, etc)
< noBootLoader=0
<
< serverURL[comment]=Remote server URL
< serverURL=https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC
<
< fileSkipList[comment]=A list of file names, optionally including
wildcards, to skip
< fileSkipList=kernel*;
<
< versionOverride[comment]=Override the automatically determined system
version
< versionOverride=
---
> useNoSSLForPackages[comment] =Use the noSSLServerURL for package, package
list, and header fetching
> useNoSSLForPackages=0
36,37c13,14
< sslCACert[comment]=The CA cert used to verify the ssl server
< sslCACert=/usr/share/rhn/RHNS-CA-CERT
---
> debug[comment]=Whether or not debugging is enabled
> debug=0
42,43c19,23
< useNoSSLForPackages[comment]=Use the noSSLServerURL for package, package
list, and header fetching
< useNoSSLForPackages=0
---
> retrieveOnly[comment]=Retrieve packages only
> retrieveOnly=0
>
> keepAfterInstall[comment]=Keep packages on disk after installation
> keepAfterInstall=0
48,49c28,29
< enableProxyAuth[comment]=To use an authenticated proxy or not
< enableProxyAuth=0
---
> serverURL[comment]=Remote server URL
> serverURL=https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC
51,52c31,32
< retrieveSource[comment]=Retrieve source RPM along with binary package
< retrieveSource=0
---
> pkgSkipList[comment]=A list of package names, optionally including
wildcards, to skip
> pkgSkipList=kernel*;
54,55c34,35
< disallowConfChanges[comment]=Config options that can not be overwritten by
a config update action
<
disallowConfChanges=noReboot;sslCACert;useNoSSLForPackages;noSSLServerURL;se
rverURL;disallowConfChanges;
---
> pkgsToInstallNotUpdate[comment]=A list of provides names or package names
of packages to install not update
> pkgsToInstallNotUpdate=kernel;kernel-modules;kernel-devel;
57,58c37,38
< headerFetchCount[comment]=The maximimum number of rpm headers to fetch at
once
< headerFetchCount=10
---
> adminAddress[comment]=List of e-mail addresses for update agent to
communicate with when run in batch mode
> adminAddress=root at localhost;
60,61c40,41
< networkRetries[comment]=Number of attempts to make at network connections
before giving up
< networkRetries=5
---
> storageDir[comment]=Where to store packages and other data when they are
retrieved
> storageDir=/var/spool/up2date
63,64c43,47
< pkgsToInstallNotUpdate[comment]=A list of provides names or package names
of packages to install not update
< pkgsToInstallNotUpdate=kernel;kernel-modules;
---
> fileSkipList[comment]=A list of file names, optionally including
wildcards, to skip
> fileSkipList=;
>
> removeSkipList[comment]=A list of package names, optionally including
wildcards that up2date will not remove
> removeSkipList=kernel*;
69,76c52,53
< proxyPassword[comment]=The password to use for an authenticated proxy
< proxyPassword=
<
< updateUp2date[comment]=Allow up2date to update itself when possible
< updateUp2date=1
<
< keepAfterInstall[comment]=Keep packages on disk after installation
< keepAfterInstall=0
---
> retrieveSource[comment]=Retrieve source RPM along with binary package
> retrieveSource=0
78,79c55,56
< proxyUser[comment]=The username for an authenticated proxy
< proxyUser=
---
> versionOverride[comment]=Override the automatically determined system
version
> versionOverride=
81,82c58,59
< removeSkipList[comment]=A list of package names, optionally including
wildcards that up2date will not remove
< removeSkipList=c;
---
> httpProxy[comment]=HTTP proxy in host:port format, e.g.
squid.redhat.com:3128
> httpProxy=
90,91c67,68
< debug[comment]=Whether or not debugging is enabled
< debug=0
---
> noBootLoader[comment]=To disable modification of the boot loader (lilo,
silo, etc)
> noBootLoader=0
93,94c70,71
< httpProxy[comment]=HTTP proxy in host:port format, e.g.
squid.redhat.com:3128
< httpProxy=
---
> noReboot[comment]=Disable the reboot actions
> noReboot=0
96,97c73,74
< headerCacheSize[comment]=The maximum number of rpm headers to cache in ram
< headerCacheSize=40
---
> networkRetries[comment]=Number of attempts to make at network connections
before giving up
> networkRetries=5
99,100c76,77
< forceInstall[comment]=Force package installation, ignoring package, file
and config file skip list
< forceInstall=0
---
> updateUp2date[comment]=Allow up2date to update itself when possible
> updateUp2date=1
102,103c79,83
< noReboot[comment]=Disable the reboot actions
< noReboot=0
---
> disallowConfChanges[comment]=Config options that can not be overwritten by
a config update action

disallowConfChanges=noReboot;sslCACert;useNoSSLForPackages;noSSLServerURL;se
rverURL;disallowConfChanges;

> sslCACert[comment]=The CA cert used to verify the ssl server
> sslCACert=/usr/share/rhn/RHNS-CA-CERT

Any suggestions on how to reconcile these two files would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--