Setting hostname with dhcp

Cesar Covarrubias cesar at uci.edu
Thu Oct 23 22:27:07 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have a question regarding setting hostnames on servers using DHCP. It
is probably best if I give a background as to what we are doing.

I am setting up a cluster of nodes on a private subnet that boot and
install using PXE. In my dhcpd.conf, I have specified specific MAC
addresses get specific IP addresses. My kickstart is set to use a dns
server on the public network, which obviously doesn't have entries for
the nodes on the private subnet. The problem I am running into is
setting hostnames for these nodes that are on a private subnet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set the hostname on these
nodes without having different kickstart files for each node?

Thanks for all your help.

Very Respectfully,
Cesar Covarrubias