Errata updates for RHEL

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Fri Oct 24 14:39:04 UTC 2008

For the 5.2 box, after the RHN registration, you can do (as root) a:

yum -y update

This will perform all the necessary updates and will essentially resolve
dependencies without intervention provided that your network connection
is fairly reliable and that you have enough space on /var, /usr to get
those updates (usually not a problem).

For the 4.1 box, judging from the number of updates you need, if I were
you, I would:

i)Backup everything up on portable drives (system partitions: /, /etc/
,/usr/ /var/ and other) and

ii)Download the latest media from your RHN subscription channel
(Software Download section)

iii)Re-install the OS from the new media.

iv)Keep the backup handy in case the box came with other apps that are
non RH specific and restore the non-standard bits and bobs.

GM

George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios