FSCK Maintenance - no root password

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Mon Oct 13 02:57:44 UTC 2008

> My file server locked up and I had to reboot it, when it came up its stuck
> in the FSCK maintenance.  Is there a way that I can run this without a root
> password or reset the password?  The file system is an ext3 in a raid 5
> configuration.

I would be very cautious about interrupting an fsck.  If you reboot your
machine and press a key to bring up the grub menu, then type 'e' to edit
that kernel entry, move to the kernel line, hit 'a' to append .. place an
's' at the end of the line and hit enter and then 'b' to boot you will
boot without the root password into single user mode.

Barry