Linux guest OS shuts down after login

Patil, Manjiri S mpatil at bu.edu
Wed Oct 22 13:06:54 UTC 2008

hi ,

I am evaluating Vmware Infrastructure 3 . I Cold Clone my physical
machine (P2V conversion) running RHEL 4 ( 64 bit -kernel version
2.6.9-67.0.4 ELSMP) using Vmware converter Enterprise Boot CD ( version
4.0.2). After the conversion I got kernel Panic in Virtual machine. I
then followed the steps at

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd
=displayKC&externalId=1002402  (basically change scsi controller to LSI
logic , install new ramdisk image etc.)

I also changed the Guest operating system from other to Red Hat
enterprise 4 Linux 64bit.

Now the Virtual machine boots . but approximately 2minutes after I login
it shuts down. I tried going single user mode, text mode but same thing.
I can not install Vmware Tools as it reboots.

I already posted this onto VMware Forum but didn't get response so
though will try here.  Has anyone experienced similar issue ????

Thanks