Linux guest OS shuts down after login

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Fri Oct 24 03:50:43 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Patil, Manjiri S <mpatil at bu.edu> wrote:

> hi ,
>

> I am evaluating Vmware Infrastructure 3 . I Cold Clone my physical
> machine (P2V conversion) running RHEL 4 ( 64 bit -kernel version
> 2.6.9-67.0.4 ELSMP) using Vmware converter Enterprise Boot CD ( version
> 4.0.2). After the conversion I got kernel Panic in Virtual machine. I
> then followed the steps at
>
> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd
> =displayKC&externalId=1002402<http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1002402> (basically change scsi controller to LSI
> logic , install new ramdisk image etc.)
>
> I also changed the Guest operating system from other to Red Hat
> enterprise 4 Linux 64bit.
>
> Now the Virtual machine boots . but approximately 2minutes after I login
> it shuts down. I tried going single user mode, text mode but same thing.
> I can not install Vmware Tools as it reboots.
>
> I already posted this onto VMware Forum but didn't get response so
> though will try here.  Has anyone experienced similar issue ????

Have you tried other virtualization solution vendors' products???   Their
physical to virtual conversion method(s) might "just work."

For instance, the following vendor products are based on Xen, they are
cheaper, and their respective feature set may be appropriate for your needs.
Moreover, with the exception of Citrix's XenServer product (and your VmWare
product), the others in the list offer an operating system agnostic vm
management console  --important if you do not want to be forced to swallow
an proprietary os simply to manage your vm guests.

Citrix XenServer (Need at least one WinXX operating system to host vm
management console):
http://www.xenserver.com

Virtual Iron's:
http://www.virtualiron.com

Sun xVM server:
http://www.sun.com/software/products/xvmserver/

Oracle's VM server:
http://www.oracle.com/technologies/virtualization/index.html

As an specific example, some time ago I covered an Citrix XenServer 4.1 test
installation into 64-bit hardware (Sun MicroSystems Ultra 20 M2
workstation): 64-bit XenServer 4.1 and 32-bit and 64-bit virtual
machines<http://www.metztli-it.com/blog/index.php/2008/07/12/xenserver-4-1-and-32-bit-and-64-bit-virt?blog=4>
--currently, Xenserver is at version 5.0.

Hope I provided some insight...

Jose R Rodriguez
http://www.metztli-it.com

Have you tried the no-charge IBM Lotus Symphony
<http://symphony.lotus.com/>office productivity suite?  Symphony is
based on OpenOffice and promotes the
open document format (ODF) open standards.  Current officially supported
GNU/Linux platforms: Red Hat and Novell's SuSE --Ubuntu official support
with Symphony release version 1.2 due on November 04, 2008.