GFS

Kristoffer Knigga Kknigga at arrow-financial.com
Wed Oct 29 14:06:09 UTC 2008

Here's kind of the scenario I have in my head:  You have 10 machines you want to share /home.  These machines are otherwise unrelated and may be some mixture of DB, DNS, HTTP, LDAP, or whatever.  You could make a 10 node cluster without any applications or resources (basically just to handle the storage) and use GFS to mount up a shared LUN.  This would require every machine in that group to also run the various cluster services (fenced, aisexec, groupd, dlm_controld, clvmd, etc.) and should have each one set up with some sort of fencing mechanism.

Or, you could set up two little machines in a true failover cluster exporting /home from off the SAN via NFS to the 10 various machines.  Sure there'd be a bit of NFS overhead, but none of your other servers would have to worry about cluster stuff, like running all of that extra software or being fenced.

Whether or not this scenario is in anyway like what the original question asker had in mind, I don't know, but that's how I pictured it.