winbind problem

jared davis davisjar at missouri.edu
Wed Oct 29 15:56:19 UTC 2008

I'm running RHEL4.  I'm having a problem with winbind which I use for
authentication to Active Directory into the box.

I can run winbind and it works fine, however, after a couple weeks or
so, the server slows to a crawl, sendmail stops working, etc. When I ps
aux, winbind has spawned several winbindd processes which spikes the CPU
to 100%.  I have to kill all winbind processes and restart winbind.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening?  Is winbind timing out while
trying to connect to the LDAP server and spawning a new process or
something?  Is there a config option I can change?

Thanks