Re: Can I know if my disk is going bad.

Rohit khaladkar wrote:
> Hi All,I am using Red Hat Linux 5.2 OS . I wanted to know if by any means
> there is a way to find out if my disk is going bad.I looked for some command
> and found out "badblocks" command for the same.But the problem is this
> command takes lot of time to execute.
>
> Please let me know if anyone is aware of any other way of finding it out, if
> the disk is going bad.

Other than checking /var/log/messages for disk-related error messages, not to
my knowledge. Yes, it takes a while... but if you haven't made the backups, and
started to get a replacement disk before this one crashes, how much *more* time
will you be down?

I've never used badblocks by itself. When I've had problems, it's *ALWAYS* get
everyone off that disk, umount it, and fsck -c, and usually -p as well, to
automatically fix it. And then I start pricing a new drive.

And do a backup of the filesystem *now*!

	mark