resizing swap space

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 20:10:00 UTC 2008

2008/9/25 Ryan Golhar <golharam at umdnj.edu>:
> I have RHEL 5.2 installed an need to resize the swap space.  I followed the
> default installation so the entire drive is allocated to the root filesystem
> and some space was reserved for swap and for /boot.

A different approach is to add a file in the root fs for swap instead
of adding a dedicated partition / logical volume.
The performance will be somewhat lower than from a partition / lv, but
it is much simpler and less risky to add.
You can also use the pri=<priority> option in fstab so that the swap
partition is used first, and only if that becomes full the
swap file is used.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud