Incremental Backups to NTFS NAS

Cesar Covarrubias cesar at uci.edu
Mon Sep 8 23:38:48 UTC 2008

Hello All,

I have a client that wants to do incremental backups of his RHEL4 box,
but does not want to go with our current vendor backup solution.
Instead, they would like to back all the files up to a NAS that is using
NTFS and Windows file shares to connect to it. I mounted the NAS and
tried to use the solution found at
http://www.howtoforge.com/rsync_incremental_snapshot_backups , but kept
getting errors when the script tried to create a sym link to files
stored on the NAS with the error "cannot create link... Operation not
permitted". Has anyone had experience setting up incremental backups
from a linux box to an NTFS NAS?

Any help is appreciated.

Very Respectfully,
Cesar Covarrubias