RHEL3.9 upgrade Apache 2.0.46 to 2.0.59

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Mon Sep 15 03:16:06 UTC 2008

RHEL3.9 Apache 2.0.46

Hi All:

For security reasons it looks like I may need to upgrade the Apache
httpd software on one of my production servers. The server in
question is currently running RHEL3 Update 9 which includes Apache
2.0.46. I have been asked to disable the HTTP TRACE which appears
to be enabled by default. I have located the TraceEnable config
parameter but this appears to be only available in 2.0.55+. I have
check the Apache site and they have an RPM available for 2.0.59.

I am hesitant to upgrade a production sever with other than Red Hat
supplied and tested packages for the primary server components. I
do not mind doing this for add-ons and utilities but not something
as key as the web server software.

My questions are:

1. Is this really required or can I disable the HTTP TRACE using
   another method?

2. Has anyone done this type of upgrade and did you encounter any
   problems?

Any additional comments or suggestions welcome.

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com