proxy server

Support ManPCI support at manpci.com
Wed Sep 17 09:27:20 UTC 2008

Le mercredi 17 septembre 2008 à 10:57 +0300, Koray Sonmez [Oytek] a
écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I am searching Proxy server documantion for Redhat 5.
>
> I  found some docs but all of them about 3 or 4.
>
>  Anybody answer me  ; Is proxy server running on Redhat 5?

squid
Squid is a high-performance proxy caching server for web clients,
supporting FTP, gopher, and HTTP data objects. Unlike traditional
caching software, Squid handles all requests in a single, non-blocking,
I/O-driven process.

Squid keeps meta data and especially hot objects cached in RAM, caches
DNS lookups, supports non-blocking DNS lookups, and implements negative
caching of failed requests. If you are tight on memory, check out the
NOVM version of this package.

Squid supports SSL, extensive access controls, and full request logging.
By using the lightweight Internet Cache Protocol, Squid caches can be
arranged in a hierarchy or mesh for additional bandwidth savings.

Squid consists of a main server program squid, a Domain Name System
lookup program dnsserver, a program for retrieving FTP data ftpget, and
some management and client tools. When squid starts up, it spawns a
configurable number of dnsserver processes, each of which can perform a
single, blocking Domain Name System (DNS) lookup. This reduces the
amount of time the cache waits for DNS lookups.

Squid is derived from the ARPA-funded Harvest project.