Red Hat updates

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 15:24:01 UTC 2008

I'm wondering what the general consensus is about applying Red Hat
updates to production systems.

Apart from the issue I've seen in the list where the update process
replaces some people's config files, do you generally think it is safe
to just apply updates and trust that nothing will be broken (broadly
speaking)?

I know it's probably best to apply the updates to a test lab machine
that's configured the same as the production machines, and I can do that
for *almost* all our servers.  But there's always one or two that don't
follow the "standard" pattern so they are a case of hoping for the best.

Just wondering what you think, and any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.