Red Hat updates

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Sep 17 15:49:20 UTC 2008

Johan Booysen wrote:
> I'm wondering what the general consensus is about applying Red Hat
> updates to production systems.
<snip>
> I know it's probably best to apply the updates to a test lab machine
> that's configured the same as the production machines, and I can do that
> for *almost* all our servers.  But there's always one or two that don't
> follow the "standard" pattern so they are a case of hoping for the best.

Well, the real thing you're looking at is whether the updates will break
something. *If* the non-standard production machines don't have non-standards
versions of what you're updating, such as if they're using a built-from-source
php or mcrypt, rather than installed-binary-from-rpm, then you should be ok.

	mark