smbd dead but pid file exists "frustration"

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Thu Sep 18 23:08:24 UTC 2008

On 9/18/08, Ben Kevan <ben.kevan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 18 September 2008 11:36:04 am Ken Rossman wrote:
> > You are looking for the file smbd.pid in this case.  Shut down smbd
> > and nmbd
> > (i.e. shut down samba), then look for smbd.pid and nmbd.pid, and
> > delete them
> > when you find them.  If samba is shut down, these files should not
> > exist.
> >
> > Likely, they are in:
> >
> >    SAMBATEMPLOC/lib/<servername>/*.pid
> >
> > Where SAMBATEMPLOC is the location where Samba keeps temp files it needs
> > while running (e.g. /usr/lib/samba, /usr/local/samba, /var/lib/
> > samba), and
> > <servername> is the name of your Samba server host.
> >
> > Ken
>

> Hi Ken and  Pattabhi,
>
> I guess I should have noted that when they are shutdown, there is no pid
> anywhere.
>
> So I know there is no dead pid, only time I get a dead pid is when I try to
> start smb. It starts ok, then dies leaving the pid (which stopping it
> clears).
>
> But why is it stopping? testparm is fine, and the smb.conf works fine on
> another box.
>
> This is a 64-Bit box.. btw..
>
> netstat -an shows it's listening on 445
>
> (snip from /etc/services)
> microsoft-ds    445/tcp
> microsoft-ds    445/udp
>
> netstat -an | grep 445
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:445                 0.0.0.0:*
> LISTEN

Don't use the startup script in /etc/init.d/ -- or whereever it is. Start
smbd directly. Look at the samba.org website for the startup parameters for
smbd. I think you may find an option to leave smbd in the foreground in
which case you will see any debug messages sent to the console. You might
also try looking for samba log files in /var/log/samba to see if there are
any usefull messages in log.smbd -- or whatever the config file names the
logs.

You really should also do something like
find /var/run -name "*.pid"
just to make sure there really isn't a stale pid file.

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU