firefox 3 not starting RHEL ES 4

Clark, Patti clarkp at osti.gov
Fri Sep 19 12:01:34 UTC 2008

I opened a ticket with RH on this exact issue.  So far, it's going
nowhere since their viewpoint is my "non-standard umask" is my problem.
Fixing the /usr/evolution28 tree will not fix the entire problem.  I
take it that you have already addressed perms on /etc/gconf?  It's been
a while,  I think I found perm problems with /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.1 and
there are issues with the "old" local user .mozilla directory.  So far,
deleting it allows firefox to recreate it correctly.  Unfortunately,
there is the issue of recovering bookmarks and other custom settings.
This is a non-trivial exercise when the install count is beyond a small
number.  I use Satellite to push out my updates, so changing the umask
for updates is not a working solution either.  IMHO, my local umask
settings should not be a factor in RPM handling.  RH should not be
making default umask assumptions and in most cases they don't.

Patti Clark
DOE/OSTI

You are definitely on the right track. The directory (and its
subdirectory) where libpangocairo had permissions of 700. I had to
change them to 755 before I made any progress. Now I get this error:

(Gecko:31008): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module
file '/usr/evolution28/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': Permission
denied

The problem here is, this file exists, but not in this location. It
exists at /usr/evolution28/etc/gtk-2.0/linux*/gdk-pixbuf.loaders

As a user, if I try to ls
/usr/evolution28/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders, I get a permission
denied. As root, if I do it, I get "file not found".

Does this directory maybe need to have world write privileges?