Virtualizing KDE's

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Sun Sep 21 16:21:23 UTC 2008

lists at grounded.net wrote:
>> Again - why not have them run remotely from the one server, just as
>> separate users? Do they absolutely have to think they're on their own
>> server by themselves?
>
> Can you explain this a little more. Like I said, I've played with X a few
> times but have not had the chance to get to know it so am not sure of it's
> capabilities. Also, I don't want to change their machines, they can use them
> for their own personal use, it's the business side I don't want messing with
> their personal sides. When they start screwing their machines up, they
> always end up taking a ton of my time when it's not even related to business
> apps. Being able to give them a virtual remote machine would be an
> interesting way for me to learn about virtualization and possible take care
> of this problem.

Ok, figuring out how advanced you are is always a problem with new folks.

First: virtualization is setting up a meta-o/s, so that everyone in a given
virtual server thinks and acts as though they have a real server of their very
own. I can think back to the late seventies, on IBM mainframes, and regions or
partitions (DOS/VSE vs. MVS).

X is like Windows 3.x, *NOT* 95 or NT. It's a GUI windowing environment running
on top of the O/S, not part of it. (The #1 thing I hold against its design.) If
you think of a d/b server, and other machines pointing to it for their queries,
X is like that. Frequently, you're on the same machine; but you can be on any
machine. In that case, it's exactly like the old mainframe environments with
terminals.

Terminology: as I mentioned, X terminology is absolutely the opposite of the
way *every* other usage of it is. If it were a d/b, in X terminology, the d/b
server would be the client, and the machines calling it would be the servers.

Wrapped your head around that? No, as far as I'm concerned, it makes no sense
either, but that's what they did at MIT in the eighties....

So you can set up the global defaults on one server, so that unless folks
customize their own environment, they log in on their machines, they
effectively log into the X-terminology "client", and all come into X with
exactly the same stuff, running on that server, not on their own.

	mark "are you confused enough?"