crond not found

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Thu Sep 25 10:43:42 UTC 2008

Crontabs does not contain the cron daemon:

[root at dmgacc1 AutoDeploy]# rpm -qil crontabs
Name        : crontabs                     Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 1.10                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 7                             Build Date: Mon 20 Sep 2004
11:58:10 PM CEST
Install Date: Tue 16 Sep 2008 02:48:17 PM CEST      Build Host:
tweety.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
crontabs-1.10-7.src.rpm
Size        : 1004                             License: Public Domain
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Thu 06 Jan 2005 12:05:25 AM CET, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : Root crontab files used to schedule the execution of
programs.
Description :
The crontabs package contains root crontab files.  Crontab is the
program used to install, uninstall or list the tables used to drive the
cron daemon.  The cron daemon checks the crontab files to see when
particular commands are scheduled to be executed.  If commands are
scheduled, it executes them.

Crontabs handles a basic system function, so it should be installed on
your system.
/etc/cron.daily
/etc/cron.hourly
/etc/cron.monthly
/etc/cron.weekly
/etc/crontab
/usr/bin/run-parts

You need a package which provides crond:
[root at dmgacc1 AutoDeploy]# rpm -qif `which crond`
Name        : vixie-cron                   Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 4.1                               Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 50.el4                        Build Date: Wed 06 Feb 2008
10:24:00 AM CET
Install Date: Tue 16 Sep 2008 04:53:34 PM CEST      Build Host:
hs20-bc2-3.build.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
vixie-cron-4.1-50.el4.src.rpm
Size        : 127667                           License: distributable
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 03 Mar 2008 08:41:13 AM CET, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : The Vixie cron daemon for executing specified programs at
set times.
Description :
The vixie-cron package contains the Vixie version of cron.  Cron is a
standard UNIX daemon that runs specified programs at scheduled times.
Vixie cron adds better security and more powerful configuration
options to the standard version of cron.

Kind regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB